Monday, November 22, 2010

NO Plastic Bags!?

Summary: Today I went to ALDI with my mother, and as I was placing our groceries on the conveyor belt when I noticed that the man in front of me was putting all his goods right into the carriage with NO bags. I was mystified. Then I realized ALDI has NO plastic bags. What a brilliant idea!

ALDI's thoughts on this comes from how other grocery stores (or all stores really) jack up their prices in order to provide "free" plastic bags. ALDI charges customers a lower cost and then makes them PAY for the bags. But who wants to pay "extra" once they realize they have an option? Most people bring their own reusable bags or just carry the goods out in hand.  It makes a lot of sense. Using this tactic, the Republic of Ireland has actually cut the number of plastic bags used by 90%. This means the stores don't have to buy as many of the bags and less plastic is put into the environment. For those who find it more convenient to pick up plastic bags at the store, they are given a little slap on the wrist with anywhere from a 50 cent to $1 charge per bag. Again, absolutely brilliant.

3 comments:

  1. Aldi is a terrible grocery store.

    That being said, they sometimes do some pretty good stuff. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LIES. We get our gallons of milk for the gallon challenge there. They always laugh because they know what we're up to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! I think I remember hearing about the "Free" bags at one point. If/when possible, I just refuse a bag, especially if I only have a couple of things. I can usually stick them in my hoodie pocket or just carry it out in my hands. I've had some interesting juggling acts walking from the Co-Op or C-Store, haha.

    ReplyDelete